Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Grandmothers Garden

This is what I have been busy with.. I inherited many quilt tops put together by my sweet Grandmother Potts. I think I might have 8 that she pieced together and maybe 5-6 that she cut out but never got put together. So I need to put together and then have them quilted. I thought that I would hand quilt them and then give them away to family , but I will not live long enough to do that! It is taking me forever! So I wanted to show you the first one that I have finished and the second one that is finished but I do not have a picture of. Then the one that is almost finished. This one has many pieces of material that I recognize when I was young. She did a great job of putting the colors together didn't she. This one hangs in my spare bedroom. Every time I see it I see another piece of material that used to be a dress or blouse that was made for me by grand mom. I think I did good.........don't you. It is all hand pieced and hand quilted. It will go to my son one of these days. The picture does not do it justice.

It is a full size and looks good thrown over the end of the bed some days.


This one I have just finished quilting by hand and needs to have the edges finished. I so enjoyed this one. It will go in my bedroom hanging on a wall. I have two more like this one with all different colors. I know who one will go to, I have a very favorite niece that will get one of those. However, the rest of the quilts will be taken to a wonderful lady here in town that puts them on her machine. I took one a year ago and had one of the quilts made for my older brother Paul. He just loves it and she did a beautiful job. That is the only way that they will get finished. I will keep several for Chris, for when he marries and has children and they will know what a wonderful Great Great Grandmother they had. As for some of the others, not sure what I will do with them.


My brother PE said that he sees some pieces in this one that used be little shirts that he once wore. How precious are these quilts and I am blessed to have them. I will get them quilted and share them with the ones that I love.


I so enjoyed hand sewing this one. I went around every piece of that doll, her umbrella and each little flower and stem grass at the bottom of her skirt. It has taken me a while but how I enjoy looking at them.

The picture does not do it justice!
I am going to enter the top one in the quilt show this year! Wish me luck!

22 comments:

Annette said...

what beauty...your family is very lucky to be able to have history. I love the colors, and yes, she did very well with the colors. I have one my mom made,not as fancy, just different squares with little squares on the bigger ones, I remember my mom sewing them by hand, I don't know how she had the time, being a single mom and working 3 jobs, but she did, and now I have it!! and I love it, when I put it on my bed sometimes I study each thread or material and think "Momma, did all this" Thank you for sharing, so very pretty!!
Hugs
Annette

Mary said...

Denise,

Mom quilts and so did my grandmother. I can quilt by hand and know how to set them up on a frame, but don't know how to finish them.

Both of these quilts are beautiful. My favorite is the parasol girl.

Good luck at the quilt show. I do hope you win first prize.

Blessings,
Mary

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

These are so lovely. My Grandmother made some beautiful quilts...m.

Karen said...

I LOVE quilts...and all of yours are just lovely! I did not get the sewing gene in my family *sigh*, but I adore seeing the handiwork of others. Best of luck at the quilt show and take some pictures, please!

Sandra said...

Those are so pretty. I remember seeing pieces of some of them in grandma's house.

I have a small one that she started and I've worked on here and there. It is no where near completion and may take me until I'm in my 90's to finish! I'll also need a lot more fabric because there isn't nearly enough to make anything. It's very difficult to find fabric that matches though.

Anonymous said...

You are definitely one talented lady, that's for sure. Oh to have the time to do all that. Truly, you are blessed!

Denise said...

Those are so lovely my friend, great work.

Shirley said...

Denise, those quilts are so so pretty! I just love them. Yes, you are a very blessed lady. Such wonderful memories.....not like today when people buy the fabric to make their quilts.

Love you, lady.

Joni said...

True family heirlooms! I remember my own grandmother making quilts with our old clothing and there was just something very special about identifying pieces of cloth tucked away in the memory. You should get quilting prices from various churches who might have groups of women who get together and do it for social time, often it is MUCH cheaper that way, although the waitlist might be extensive it's worth it to check out! My mom found a group of ladies that would do it for $40...and believe me that's a steal!

Marlos ACE said...

They are BEAUTIFUL! I love quilts! I am going to learn someday!

Carole Burant said...

Oh Denise, they are just beautiful and how proud your grandmother would be of you for finishing her work!! Such wonderful heirlooms, every one of those quilts. I love it when people make them using old pieces of clothing, seems to make them that much more special:-) xoxo

Sharon Brumfield said...

Those are truly beautiful.....what a wonderful gift your grandmother left you.
I am sure whoever gets them will treasure the memories and talent that went into their creation.

Vicki said...

What a treasure! You're so talented, too. I've always wanted to make a quilt before I die {sigh}...hope I'll still try one day. These are absolute heirlooms, Denise ♥

Sandi McBride said...

How talented you are Denise! I love the work you've done...they're lovely and will look so exquisite lying on the end of a bed. Keep up the good work!
Sandi

Love Bears All Things said...

They are beautiful and in such good shape. I think that is a Southern Belle Sunbonnet Sue. I know you've had fun doing them and seeing the fabrics.
Mama Bear

Tracy said...

I just love quilts, and wow ones that have been passed down. You must be loving the fact that your Grandmother worked on these first! It is something you two can share together. What a wonderful memory. Hugs Denise thank you for sharing them. OHHHH and i just love the little blurb you have about President Bush on your side bar. I am getting so tired of the blame being put on him for people who over spent and purchased homes that were above and beyond what they made!

Hope you have a wonderful evening.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I'm a quilt lover! I used to live in Amish country and had a lady make me two or three over the years. They hang on my walls. My grandmother also made me a quilt before she died. It's still my favorite for cuddling beneath. I love the handiwork displayed in your quilts. Every bed in my house has a quilt, so if you ever grow tired of yours...

peace~elaine

Hootin Anni said...

Ohhhhhhhhh, so so wonderful. Such beautiful work. I'm glad to hear that you're putting them together!! Wow....just plain ol' wow!!!!

Sharon said...

Those are gorgeous!!!! How wonderful that you are able to work on the same ones your grandmother worked on! Very precious works of art!

JC said...

WOW, they are beautiful and what great memories. I don't think I could part with them.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you take right after your Grandma yes? Beautiful!! I love to watch our seniors do their quilting at my work, they are soooo good, and they sell them to raise money. You my friend do beautiful work. I have never owned a quilt,but they are lovely and comfy, and homey and just wonderful:) You will do great at the quilt show:)

Diane said...

Dear Denise, Your quilltls are beautiful. So many memories, too. You will never be sorry for the time you've put in them.