Thursday, January 29, 2009

Why Her? Part 1


She does not have much "space" in the word of God......Only a few scriptures, but the impact of that few scriptures has had and will continue to have a profound meaning to countless women around this world............IF we as believers walk with her through her life we will see the sorrow and see the joy of that moment in time in her life.

I studied very many years ago via tapes and even in his church back in the late 80's,
a man of God that was so deep in the word it left a lasting impression in my spirit.
I am so sorry to say that I cannot recall his name right now, but maybe before I finish this post it will come to the front of my memory. His church was in Tulsa but not sure if he is even there now. I learned many things from sitting under his ministry but the most valuable thing was the way that he studied scripture. He studied in stories and not in chapter verse.

I began to do that many years ago and to this day I can tell you where a story is but I have a hard time giving you chapter and verse. You see once I began to study in story form
it surpassed the stop start titles and verses and chapters. The word of God took on life and in each story I traveled with each person to peer through their eyes of the things that were recorded.
Her story is passed over by many due to the fact that they do not know what to do with her.. I have read many a commentary that makes me angry as to the "interpretation" that they pen.
Harsh words spoken about her and her scarlet letter. I beg to differ.

It was in the study of the scripture in story form that I became to so love this woman with no name. I studied her, I admired her and I wept with her and I felt her anger and her loneliness. I lived the day to day with her as she walked the streets of Samaria and listened to the whispers and the scorn and the religious hypocrites of her day, the men shunning her with their words and the women with their eyes.

I am just guessing but I would think she was in her middle 40's given the life span back then and she was tired and worn out. She was a mother I am quite sure that and a daughter, possibly a sister or even an aunt to children of her siblings. She was you, she was me, she was intended to be recorded in the scripture. It was not by chance that HE went to THAT well THAT day and THAT time. HE does nothing by accident. Nothing.

I walked with her that day to the well, she did not go early as the other women of the city. She was tired of their unspoken disdain. She knew they watched her, she felt their eyes. She was weary and would rater suffer the noon day heat than the piercing stares of their judgment. She went in the heat of the day, she went alone. I have acted in the very same manner. Easier to go alone than risk their stares. And so goes the voices in her head.

He arrived first, HE was waiting. She approached HIM with caution knowing that HE was not a Samaritan, but a Jew. Jews did not like the Samaritans and viewed them as low class. They would not even walk through Samaria, which is called Sychar. What was HE doing here?
She was a dog in HIS sight, or so goes the voices in her head. She was regarded to be unworthy to even look at HIM let alone speak. Her eyes cast down as she approached that well. Her life was fixing to change.

If we are to believe that the Father God wrote not with pen and ink but wrote upon the hearts of those that are authors of HIS word, then we must believe that each jot and tittle is inspired by the third person of the trinity and each jot and tittle is anointed to be recorded.

What do you think of her? What do you REALLY think of her? She has 5 divorce papers laying in her top drawer. Each a lifetime past. Each with sorry she reviews them in her head and moreover in her heart. What is there about that men hate? Why do they use me and then throw me away?
I am just like her and I am living in your town and I am shopping at the same place that you shop. I could be sitting in your church or sitting beside you at PTA. I might be one that works in your local hospital or in the city court house. I am the one taking the kids to school and hurrying on to work and maybe I am the receptionist at your dentist office or Dr office .......
she could be in a million places doing a million things but I can tell you without
a shadow of a doubt that SHE is among you.

She is broken some days and some days she is angry and sometimes she just does
not see the need to ever try anymore. She has been thrown away.

I can tell you this one thing before I finish and let you ponder and wait till part two, her heartache is twofold. The world gives her brands with an unwritten standard and the second source of her heartache comes from within walls that bear the name of the very one that came to save her.
A scarlet letter that comes from the Sadducee and Pharisees,
the religious order of the day is the one that causes her much more pain than the world can inflict. That is the one where hope is destroyed and grace that HE gave so freely, she can not afford. HIS grace is replaced by judgment and her sins are far too many and not even HIS blood can wash away her stain.
Listen to the voice in her head, listen to her reasoning as she approached that well. Listen to her heart.............. The very heart cry that caused the HOLY SPIRIT to speak to the Christ and causes the Christ to go toward Samaria .......... John 4:3 He left Judea, and departed again into Galilee John JOHN 4:4 AND HE MUST NEEDS GO THROUGH SAMARIA

Why do I admire her and name my blog after her? Why do I read and read her story again and walk with her before salvation and after salvation? Why her, I will tell you.

PART TWO SATURDAY

DIVORCE: THE UNFORGIVABLE SIN.......
(or so the voices say)





19 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Count me in on this one girl! I'm tracking with you friend. I've known the shame of our John 4 woman at the well. And here's what strikes me everytime. In fact, it's a chapter in one of my manuscripts I've written on God's questions to humanity.

God comes to the well and asks her for a drink...her. His thirst led him there. Her thirst kept him there, and somewhere in the midst of thirst, both his and hers, relationship is birthed.

God has something he wants from each of us, scarlet letters and all...

we give him that refreshment everytime we pause to tend to our relationship with him.

Enough said. I'll be back this weekend for part 2. Write it friend. It needs to be written.

Love your heart.

peace~elaine

Love Bears All Things said...

You have done a wonderful job with this.

When you do your pay it forward, I want to be on your list. Okay,
Thanks,
Mama Bear

Joyce said...

I will have to come back for part two!
Are you "iced in?" I was wondering about you all up there.
Be warm...and be blessed. HA!
Joyce

Sharon Brumfield said...

This was great girl!
It is simply amazing how He can take our stories and use it to pull people from death.
Your story is much needed....
And although there are many of us who do not wear the D.....we know her heart, her longing, her betrayal.

And for that your story will not stop at helping a divorced woman...but the woman who also has buried her hope. She has given up on being loved as she is.
Keep going girl....this is the word alive.

Donetta said...

God IS in this timeless
He IS within your very finger tips...
Holding you, healing you with every word of testimonial glory.
Write on...

Annette said...

I am hooked already, in some of your words I can feel the pain that woman had....I have a real hard time understanding people who judge others, it's NOT my job in this world to judge at all, my job is for people to see Christ in me, this makes me what to cry, why do people have to be so mean? these same people think they are perfect? I LOVE God with all my heart and soul and I hope people can see that when they see my eyes, really look into my eyes and there they will see my fathers eyes.
love you
Annette

Donetta said...

Oh you funny girl...Organize my sewing needles hahahah
They all share the pin cushions although I boot the pearl tip ones off the pad because they get in the way. Every once in a while if I am on the phone or just being mindless I will park them each on one side of the pad for just cause. I really enjoyed this post today..
You know it's not like I'm tending my elderly parents or running a business...:)

Back Through Time said...

You have a wonderful way with words and writing~I love this and can't wait for part 2. You have a way of reaching out to all of us.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend and keep thinking of that pool:-)
Hugs,
Michelle

Denise said...

This is awesome my friend, love you.

Linda said...

Waiting for part 2...you are an amazing writter.

Let me know when you have pictures of the things you are letting go...I'd love to find somethng you had enjoyed once. hugs, Linda

Rowann said...

Your WORDS touch my soul... HIS WORDS

JC said...

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Sandi McBride said...

Denise, my dear friend..you are such a source of inspiration that I have to say if I met you on the street I'd know you instantly and hug you so hard! This is a tremendous post...
hugs
Sandi

Talk..to..Grams said...

I have been Divorced this summer for 30 years!!
I sure know how it feels!! You have written a beautiful post!!

Thank you so much for all your prayers for me!! I am doing better!! Love and hugs Grams

Mary said...

Denise,

You always inspire me, girl. I love this.

Thank you so much for your kind words and loving support in the passing of our beloved Meeko. He will live forever in our hearts.

Blessings,
Mary

Tracy said...

This post is so wonderful! I am waiting for part two! I relate with this because i have gone through divorce myself. I could have been the woman who met with Jesus that day. I feel so blessed that Jesus died on the cross for ALL my sins.

Hugs to you my friend.

Deb said...

Been there done that!! Love this. You need to write books, lots of books!!!!! I mean that truly!
Love your heart, love your friendship, I will share with you soon. . .still in waiting yet praising:)

Linda - Nickers and Ink said...

Wonderful insights!

kansasrose said...

It's like you are hear in my office speaking your heart...your words have power through the love of the Lord. HE said "He that is without sin may cast the first stone"...I cannot comprehend how some people can throw stones at others when they live in glass houses!! The Lord ministered and loved/sought out the sinners and the meek, the poor and humble hurting spirits... not those sitting on their high thrones judging others. You have said it all...inspiring and beautiful dear Denise. Love you.